Friday, May 13, 2011

http://www.bigapplenosh.com/2010/08/malaysian-new-malaysia.html

Monday, August 30

Malaysian: New Malaysia

3apples 
New_Malaysia-1
Happy Monday!  I’ll be heading to Singapore for a few days next week – the country is known for its AMAZING food, so I’ll be pigging out there, no question!  In anticipation of that, I thought I’d share my dining experiences at a few South-East Asian restaurants in NYC. I recently dined at New Malaysia with fellow blogger Terri.  Malaysia and Singapore have quite similar cuisine, so this post will provide you with a glimpse of what I’ll be sampling next week.


We started with the Roti Canai (first picture).  Roti resembles a crispy chewy pancake, accompanied with chicken curry.  In Singapore and Malaysia, the chicken is replaced with mutton; however, I’m guessing that chicken is more amenable to the American palate.  I loved the roti at New Malaysia, with its crispy and flaky layers and oily curry for dipping.

We also ordered the Hainanese Chicken, with a two side orders of chicken rice.  I can best describe Hainanese chicken as poultry in its purest form – the intense chicken flavor of this dish, when prepared traditionally, is mouthwatering.  My aunt used to prepare Hainanese chicken rice, as my uncle grew up in Malaysia – this dish always makes me nostalgic!
New_Malaysia-3
Here’s a tip when ordering Hainanese Chicken Rice. There are usually two ways to order. One method is to order “Hainanese Chicken Rice,” which consists primarily of the delicious chicken-stock rice with a few pieces of chicken.  However, I’m a meat-eater. I like my chicken.  I order the two components separately – one order of Hainanese Chicken and a bowl of Hainanese Flavored Rice.  The reward – a quarter or half-chicken and a big bowl of savory rice. WIN!

To round out our meal, we ordered the Chow Kueh Teow – rice noodles stir-fried with soy sauce, chili, belachan and other ingredients high on the umami scale. New_Malaysia-2
This dish, while delicious, is also quite user-friendly for the Malaysian cuisine newbie.  Sometimes called Char Kueh Teow or Char Kway Teow, it’s one of my go-to ordering faves.

New Malaysia offers simple and authentic Malaysian/Singaporean food at a great value – this hearty meal cost each of us less than $10.  If you’re looking to try this unique cuisine, I would definitely recommend New Malaysia.

Authentic Malaysian/Singaporean cuisine at a great price.

New Malaysia
46-48 Bowery (between Bayard & Canal) 
212.964.0284

Have you had Malaysian or Singaporean food before? If so, what's your favorite dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment