Saturday, July 16, 2011

Primer over vierw

Compared This Primer With Others- Read On For Results
I AM
Willing to pay for quality, a beauty diva, Value Conscious, A Makeup Artist Liking High Performance, Eye makeup art lover, Fun Loving Makeup Artist, Iridescent Duochromatic Fanatic, Beauty Guru
Pros
easy to blend, shadows stay on all day, no oil, no fragrance, paraben free, easy to work with, nice tube for easy access, goes on translucent, smooths skin beautifully
Cons
not for vivid eye shadow application, does not show texture of shadow well, can be overblended easily, will fade through day a bit

Lorac Behind the Scenes Eye Primer — 

As a makeup artist, when a new eyeshadow primer hits the market, I want to be sure to test it out.
So far, I have used the following eyeshadow primers and tested them out extensively:
  • Lancome Aquatique
  • Urban Decay Primer Potion
  • Too Faced Shadow Insurance
  • Tarte LIFTED
  • MAC Paint Pot
  • MAC Paints
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer
(There are a couple of others but I can not recall them right now)

The new LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER was very attractive to me, as I really love LORAC eyeshadows, their Aquaprime face primer and their new 3-D multiplex holographic lipglosses.  I made it a point to test out the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYESHADOW PRIMER compared to the other top primers that I have come to know and use on different people over time.
I did not like the MAC Paint or Paint Pots for eyeshadow base for longevity reasons, sensitivity reasons and the fact that I don't feel their surface adheres to the shadow well enough to keep it on all day.


WHAT IS THE LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER LIKE?
In a black tube with silver writing, the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER is .5oz of product for $20.

Here is what the company says about this product and then I will tell you what *I* think of it.

  • Get LORAC's BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER and all eyes will be on you! THis gentle, lightweight, oil, fragrance and paraben free formula keeps your eye shadow picture-perfect from daytime to Prime Time. Created by celebrity makeup artist Carol Shaw to be used Behind The Scenes on photo shoots and on the Red Carpet, this unique eye shadow primer easily glides on for crease-resistant, silky-smooth color that lasts!
The primer comes out of the tube a caucasian skin colored cream, but it quickly vanishes into the skin leaving it very translucent.  There is not the cloudy appearance to the skin like some primers will leave.  I did not try this on dark skin yet, however, so I don't know how that will look with the dark skin under it.
The texture is very smoothing and dries a lot more quickly than any of the other eyeshadow primers that I have used.  There is definitely no oil in the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYESHADOW PRIMER so I imagine that separation later on the longer you have the product won't be an issue like it is with some primers.

HOW WELL DOES LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYESHADOW PRIMER PERFORM?
Here is the interesting part.  I did a comparison testing on swatches and on eyes with LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYESHADOW PRIMER.
The eye test- I compared LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER with URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION, TOO FACED SHADOW INSURANCE and TARTE LIFTED.  I did not have the SMASHBOX PHOTO FINISH LID PRIMER in this group to test, although it is not a bad primer to try.
I also did swatch tests with the same four primers.
Here are my results:

EYES
  • LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYESHADOW PRIMER- the eyeshadow gripped very well, but the blendability was very high.  This means that the more you blend the shadows over the primer, the more muddy it can look if you are not careful.  Surface was made smoother for eyeshadows which made them more blendable. Faded over a few hours, but stayed on all day.
  • URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION- eyeshadow did not grip as well, but did stay put for a few hours before fading about halfway.  Skin surface looked crepey and not as smooth as the other primers.  Blendability was far less than the others as well.
  • TOO FACED SHADOW INSURANCE- eyeshadow gripped in the most intense color level with texture preserved as well.  Colors not as easily blendable, but would blend between edges.  Colors stays vibrant all day and very little fading by evening.
  • TARTE LIFTED- very smooth texture to the skin- and highly blendable.  A little less vibrant shadow application at first than the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER, but very blendable.  Did lift the eye area noticeably, but the shadows only went on and stayed on at about half intensity than the others.

SWATCHES
  • LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYESHADOW PRIMER- the skin on the back of my hand was noticably smoother and fine lines were filled.  This caused the shadow to blend beautifully.  However, I blended all swatches intensely and this caused the LORAC swatches to fade to about half intensity.  Initially, the eye shadow gripped well, but blended very easily which is what caused them to fade.
  • URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION- caused skin to show fine lines and wrinkled looking on the skin.  Shadows gripped and hard to blend, but the intensity was not as good initially.  Stayed put pretty well but when blended hard, tended to fade a lot.
  • TOO FACED SHADOW INSURANCE- Skin on hand was about halfway between the LORAC and the URBAN DECAY as far as smoothness goes.  The texture of the eye shadow and color intensity was the best in initial application and it held up very well to intense blending.  Colors faded off last from these swatches.
  • TARTE LIFTED- Skin very smooth - similar to the LORAC.  Lines filled and skin surface beautiful for blending.  Eyeshadow texture and color blended out easily, however, and faded to about 1/2 intensity with blending.  Faded a little more than the LORAC but most similar to that.

CONCLUSIONS:
Upon experimenting and comparing the eye shadow primers, I have to say this.  LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER is one of the best choices if you are going for a natural well blended look and do not want high intensity color performance, this is an excellent choice.  I like the way that it smoothes the skin for beautiful well blended look- shadows blend nicely into each other, yet they do stay on all day, although at a faded level.
If you want high intensity performance of colors, I would choose the  TOO FACED SHADOW INSURANCE, not the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER.
For Oily Skin, I am not sure how well the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER would work.  Traditionally, I pick URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION for oily lids as it seems to perform best for oily lids. 
For mature lids with tendency to crepe or wrinkle- I would recommend the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER as it smooths out the lid beautifully and allows for a lovely natural eye look which is gentle yet stays all day.  TARTE LIFTED does add a nice lifting ability to similar performance but is a lot more expensive and you get less product than you do with the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER.
When I want to have vivid high performance color on my eyes, I will not grab for the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYESHADOW PRIMER. If I want to have a natural well blended look for my eyes, I would definitely grab for the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER. 
I also like the fact that the tube makes it easy to use up most of the product unlike URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION which leaves you to saw off the end if you want the other half of the primer not to go to waste.

WHERE TO PURCHASE
You can find the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER at
www.sephora.com
www.ulta.com
www.loraccosmetics.com

PHOTOS
I could not take photos by the time my tests were done because I got a bit ill from some food I ate that did not agree with me, so perhaps in the future if I perform similar tests, I can post some photos.
I know that a lot of people have been asking for a product review on the LORAC BEHIND THE SCENES EYE SHADOW PRIMER so I wanted to get something up for you to read as soon as I could, since reviews on this are not plentiful at the time of this writing.

NOTE: The reviewer indicated that they received a sample of Lorac Behind the Scenes Eye Primer.
Last edited on Feb 06, 2010




No comments:

Post a Comment